Thursday, July 24, 2008

5 Reasons I Fear My Half Marathon Goal

I've been thinking a great deal about my goal to run the Richmond half marathon in November.
And to be honest, I am a little afraid.
I begin my training plan on Monday, and every time I look at the schedule I get a little wave of nausea.
I am a newbie. at the very best, a seasoned beginner. I will celebrate my one year running anniversary 2 weeks before the race. Before I looked at my training plan, I didn't know what a tempo run was.

Well. I thoroughly believe in the practice of confronting fear in order to overcome it.

So, here are mine:

1. What if I can't finish?
2.The training will become too hard, with school, and work etc. I am afraid I will slack on training, and regret that choice during the race.
3. I have never run a competitive race before. Not even a 5k.
4. I will lose, or forget, the wonderful feeling that non-competitive running gives me.
5. For 9 months I have been running on treadmills. What if I don't like the transition to road running?


and here is an extra one, just in case:
6. Marathons are for runners. Am I a runner?

As I was writing, I was thinking about confronting my fears.
This is what I've got so far:

1. To this point, I've learned from running that doubt and insecurity make for a miserable, long and torturous workout. Whereas Positivity, confidence (and a little distraction) can carry me for miles.

2. Most of my fears are within my realm of control.
"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Stop being afraid of you.

3. You must do the thing you think you can not do. You are a runner if you choose to be a runner.

6 comments:

institute of lraqi scholars & academician said...

thanks for your work

new websites said...

Thank you very much

web search said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts

arabic search said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

Mohammad Yousuf Mulaifi said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

kayan Association said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog